Thursday 5 December 2013

Starting again, Microcosms, and a Simulated Universe?

So I have just had 're-invigorated interest' in having a blog again... 

I started one nearly three years ago and I have done nothing with it since. I have recently discovered a new way of looking at life, and I wanted to thicken my interest in this train of thought and I think a blog is a good way to do that. I want to meet new people who can share new things with me, and broaden my knowledge of the mortal coil we call Life.
 I have recently read a fantastic article that was published on the Discover Magazine website for December 2013, that reported on the news that some great minds (collectively known as Physicists) at various Universities in the Western World (Washington, Cambridge and Oxford) are conducting experiments to find out if we live in a 'Simulated Universe'. The theory states that as the processing power of computers inevitably gets better according to Moore's Law, we ourselves will have the ability to create a full blown simulation of the Universe. As a result of this then it is highly probable that any other technological civilization that may or may not exist besides ourselves would only need to of reached a slightly higher level of advanced computing to of achieved the same ability. Basically raising the statistical possibility it has been done before, meaning the amount of possible simulated Universes would be higher than real ones, and we have a better chance of being in a simulated one, than a real one. (are you still with me?)

I came across this article simply by researching the subject for myself as it is one that absolutely fascinates me, and this has been the case ever since I read the brilliant but short Sci-Fi novel 'Microcosmic God' by Theodore Sturgeon. 

The novel is about a hermit scientist, that creates a microcosm of intelligent beings, that far surpass his own mind which he names "Neoterics". It is hard not to read this story and instantly be inspired to think of our own reality compared to those small intelligent beings created in a lab for the voyeur of a scientist. I was fascinated by the thought that they, as intelligent as they were, had no knowledge they were just part of a bigger picture, of something even the "Neoterics" would struggle to comprehend. The novel and the scientist are plagued by corruption and greed, which is only carried out by the human characters of the story, implying that such things are a human trait. 

The book is a fascinating insight to the fact that we could be in fact part of a similar experiment, although somewhat far more complex. The subject fascinates me because if this was proved to be true, how would it affect us? Although I am not a religious man (but have always been intrigued by the concept) sometimes, when I ponder about it the thought makes me smile. To think that I am the product of a mind that I will never be able to comprehend. It would give meaning to the Universe, and as much as the vast emptiness of space seems to meet us with a quiet ignorance we could for the first time in human history look out to the stars and know, that we are not all. 

Have a read of the article for yourself. 

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/dec/09-do-we-live-in-the-matrix#.UqCUR8RdVi3

Dan.x

No comments:

Post a Comment